Scope for new apartments close to Preston's improving leisure offer.
An opportunity to create a high density quarter aimed at increasing footfall and spend in the city centre supporting Preston's existing and new leisure and retail offer - for those who want to live in the beating heart of the city.
This is the largest area identified in the city centre covering approximately 13 hectares and comprising six interlinked spaces with a mix of land uses, contrasting characteristics and built form throughout the different spaces. The six spaces and their key priorities are outlined below:
- Markets Quarter - restored 1875 and Fish Market canopies, brand new market hall, cinema and leisure complex and replacement multi-storey car park
- Bishopgate - revitalisation of St.John’s Shopping Centre and creation of an ‘Entertainment Hub’ at Preston Guild Hall
- Bus Station - revitalised and more accessible with the addition of a Youth Zone
- Ring Way - promotion of active frontage on Ringway and improvement of existing office space with opportunities for residential conversion
- Church Street - localised investment to safeguard and enhance listed buildings
- Birley Street - development of a boutique 4star hotel in the former Post Office building
With numerous improvement schemes already underway throughout the area, new housing is encouraged throughout and where appropriate, linkages and public realm improvements will play a part in development proposals.
Telephone: 01772 906594